Wednesday 2 January 2013

Running for Eczema & Radio Interview!!

*edited post*

Tomorrow morning the boyfriend and I will be talking on BBC Radio Lincolnshire about the tolls of living with severe eczema and how we endeavor to raise money for the National Eczema Society.

People don't really look at eczema as being a life changing condition. It just tends to be regarded a minor annoyance that may appear from time to time, usually in winter months or during times of stress. I want to make people aware that  eczema can be a debilitating illness and literally does take over; preventing leading what may be deemed a "normal" lifestyle as it can often make carrying out day to day activities impossible, or at best restrictive.


This picture basically sums up what a lot of people say to me when they notice I have eczema. It just shows a level of sheer ignorance on their behalf. What may work for some people, doesn't necessarily work for everyone. When I inform them that I see a dermatologist at LEAST once a month and that I'm taking medication that can cause other serious health problems because I've tried everything else they pretty much shut up.

We want to give the cause more awareness and to raise money to aid science in finding a cure. Eczema isn't always just a little patch of inflamed, itching skin in the elbow flexture, nor does it just occur in children. 1/5 children have eczema and 1/12 adults have it, but there is only a minority of us that will suffer chronically and find it debilitating.

But onto the aim of funding the cause...! My boyfriend, Shane Nicholl, who has a keen passion for running, will be partaking in various races over the course of the year where he will complete 1000km in distance. He's told me it's his little way of showing that he would literally run to the end of the earth for me to see me get better :)

To follow his efforts you can find him on Facebook or on Twitter! :)

And to sponsor his page is: http://www.justgiving.com/shanes1000km


Here is the radio interview for those who would like to listen :) Listen from 1:15 onwards!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0128s1g



2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have read your blog and I find this post! My partner has chronic exzema. It's more under control now but his feet and lower legs are still not great. it's really horrible for him and people have said some profoundly stupid things to him and everyone's an expert.
    Thanks for this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no problem, I'm glad it helps :)

      Delete